Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Help! I'm on the floor exercising and I can't get up. . .

Today was one of those days.

I didn't sleep well. Woke up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep until 4:30. 5:30 came waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too soon. Stuffy head. Felt groggy all day. Kids were stir-crazy and irritible. Everything was just harder and took longer. I was dreading exercise time. I just wanted to crawl into bed and Netflix the night away.

I got home and ate half my healthy dinner. I put on my exercise clothes. Grudgingly. Good thing, because I had an unexpected visitor. During my exercise time. Dang it? But my unexpected visitor was kind of awesome and restored some of my good humor. So I went downstairs to start my video. Then I realized I forgot to put on my shoes. I went back upstairs and put them on. It took forever, because the kitten thought it would be fun to Tarzan-swing on the laces. I got back downstairs and then realized I had taken the video upstairs with me when I went to go get my shoes (don't even ask me why). Back up the stairs. Back down the stairs. Good humor gone, but I was determined to finish what I had started. The dog followed me down.

I start the exercise video with the warm up. This is good. I can do this. I can do hard things.

Then the floor exercises began. I'm mid-crunch when a MASSIVE Golden Retriever is suddenly nose-to-nose with me.

"Go away, Charlie."

Instead, Charlie starts pawing at me and whining.

"Go AWAY, Charlie."

More pawing and whining and then. . .my arm is in his mouth and he's trying to drag me to safety.

Apparently he thought I had collapsed and was dying. I don't know, maybe he sensed how evil crunches truly are. . .

Here's my fat arm with purple Charlie rescue marks:


Here's to a better tomorrow. Goodnight.

8 comments:

  1. A+ for effort and persistence!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cinda! It really helps to have someone who knows what a challenge it can be. I so appreciate your moral support and encouragement!!

      Delete
  2. don't forget to count running up and down the stairs as part of your workout! keep up the good work - bless charlie for trying to take good care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your absolutely right, Annie- way to find the silver lining :) Thank you for the support, friend!

      Delete
  3. Great Job! I was about your age when I went into Basic Training (for the second time)and was surrounded by young, vibrant 18-19 year old punks.I was 10 years outta shape after abusing my body with nightly steak dinners, a desk job, and weekly Karaoke forays at downtown dives. That first 3 weeks I was determined to follow through 'til the end. Unfortunately, after the first 2 days I knew I wouldn't make it . . . I must have been crazy, depressed, or under alien control to sign up at my advanced age. Besides the 4:45am wake-up call for the 5am morning run (3 miles before breakfast) there was afternoon calisthenics sprinkled with "further training" (consisting of 50-200 push-ups when masa was displeased.) I was hitting brick-walls almost every hour, most of the time not literally. I lost weight quickly, though, and only realized it when I was able to run a mile without stopping. Soon I was able to run the whole time without stopping. Nearly a month later i "broke free" and found myself in the unknown realm of looking forward to running. Soon, I was running circles around kids just coming in nearly half my age. I guess I see exercising regularly is letting your body image catch up with your mental image. Once that breakthrough occurs . . . and it absolutely will . . . it's not only easy to exercise, but fun. I would say everything in life is a bit more easier, myself. I wasn't sure I would be able to hit that point after a ski accident severely sprained my knee a couple years before. I decided if I didn't try I'd spend more energy regretting not doing it longer than any temporary pain of putting in the effort. One thing that was continually drummed into us in Basic was that "pain is weakness leaving the body." I like how you said above that you can do the "hard" things. That's very true, you can. Its always easy when it's easy but we define ourselves from doing whats hard, uncomfortable, terrifying, etc. And then . . . we do what we want :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the inspiration :) It makes me grateful to have the choice of working out at night :) And it's good to remember that what's hard for me right now won't be as hard a week from now, or hard at all a month from now, as long as I don't give up. Hopefully I'll find it "fun" soon. Thank you for setting a good example, too- it's been motivating to see your check-ins at the gym.

      Delete
  4. rlol!! (really lauging out loud). I'm getting my workout laughing at your blog! Good ol' Charlie! Boo is konked out in his bed. I asked him last night "Where's Charlie?" and he looked out the door. Guess he thinks Charlie is out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're enjoying :) Sometimes my life is just plain ridiculous. I should have my own theme song and studio audience track for "oohs" "ahhs" and canned laughter. I miss my Boo! I just asked Charlie where Boo is, but he just stared at me blankly. Then when I asked him again he looked at the garage door. . .or maybe it was the kitchen. We all know about Boo's love of the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete